Wednesday, May 8, 2013

World Ovarian Cancer Day


Hello everyone!

Today is World Ovarian Cancer Day. This is a type of cancer that I didn't know anything about, but if you want to read about ovarian cancer, just click here. I am very glad that I found out that some girls were going to make teal nail art to help raise awareness about ovarian cancer, because that made me learn about it. Because this is a kind of cancer that often get detected late, it's important to be aware of the symptoms, and to read these 5 facts that every woman should know. According to MedlinePlus; "cancer of the ovary is not common, but it causes more deaths than other female reproductive cancers." You can see the other manicures made for ovarian cancer awareness at the end of the post.
















List of what I used:

mi-ny: #56 Klimt- pastel turquoise
Messy Mansion: MM07- rose stamping plate
Gina Tricot: #76 Brilliant blue- turquoise, used for stamping (leafs)
Konad: Black- stamping polish (roses)
mi-ny:  #247 I love London- flakie (Some of the photos are taken before adding the flakies.)
Seche Vite after each step

mi-ny: Klimt, Gina Tricot: Brilliant blue, Konad: Black, mi-ny. I love London,
Messy Mansion: MM07

It was interesting to see how different mi-ny: 'I LOVE LONDON' looks over pastel teal and over black. I used only one coat. 'I love London' is a very sheer pastel turquoise base with red flakies and tiny blue flakies. The red flakies can shift to orange and yellow (as you can see over the black roses), and light green (as you can see in the bottle). mi-ny is not tested on animals :-)

mi-ny: I love London




I chose to use this Messy Mansion stamping plate today, not only because I love the rose images, but also  because Messy Mansion donate 10% of their website profits to projects that benefit women. One of the projects gives girls the opportunity to go to school even when they are menstruating. Many girls in developing countries can't go to school those days of the month because they can't afford sanitary products. When a more affordable product is made, it gives a job for those women who make them, and the risk that the girls drop out of school is also reduced. The other project getting money from Messy Mansion, gives women who are incontinent or have other problems after childbirth, a chance to have the operation they need to be able to live normal lives. When I checked Messy Mansion's web site now, I found out that it's a different charity each month. You can read more about their "Women Empowering Women"- project here.

Messy Mansion: MM07
Edit: After reading Nail-to-Nail Interpretationsblog post, I want to add a link to Teal Toes. You can  raise awareness of ovarian cancer by painting your toenails teal, and getting your friends to paint their toenails teal too, and talk about ovarian cancer when someone asks about it, and making sure that they know the signs of this disease.

Below, you can find more manicures made for ovarian cancer awareness. A click on the thumbnails, will take you to their blog post. If you want to join in, you can add the link to your blog post at the bottom of one of our blog posts. It looks like the Inlinkz will work for a few more days.


Lani

2 comments:

  1. I love this look, it's so good of you to think of this day! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear that you like it! I only found out about this day a few days ago. When I saw on the facebook group "Crumpet's Nail Tarts" that they were making teal nail art for ovarian cancer awareness, I wanted to participate. Because I knew nothing about the disease myself, I felt that it was important to spread information about it.

      Delete