Friday, May 30, 2014

MoYou Butterflies - stamped and colored with the LeadLight technique


Hello everyone!



BUTTERFLIES was the theme for day 28 in MoYou-London's nail art challenge on Instagram. And it was one of the themes for the Sunday stamping in Adventures of Stamping. I really wanted to try the LeadLight technique after seeing a tutorial, where you create a kind of stained glass effect by painting over a stamped manicure with jelly/ sorbet/ LeadLight polishes. Thank you Messy Mansion for teaching me the technique! Unfortunately they don't ship their LeadLight Lacquer Collection outside Australia yet. So I had to improvise. Luckily I had seen a tutorial about how to use the technique with regular nail polish. I'll include both tutorials below.



I'm surprised by how well this turned out. Isn't it strange that I make the nail art that I like best when I've had a bad day and feel sad?




How I did it:

I started with white nails. For the stamping I used a butterfly plate; MoYou-London Collection -01, and Konad SN Black. Then I found a tiny brush and a dotting tool, and my different sheer polishes, and added some color. I don't have many jellies, so to make more colors, I mixed some drops of polish with clear on a palette. I used the back of a Messy Mansion stamping plate as palette. If it was opaque, I tried to mix with clear, and some jellies were not pigmented enough so I tried to mix them with polish. The glitter came from some Kleancolor Chunky Holo minis.

Here you see the palette and the products I used:


And here you see how this manicure evolved:





As you see, some of the polishes I mixed were too opaque because they covered the black stamped details, but it's not bad for a first try. What I've learned is that the polish needs to be sheer enough to not cover the stamping, and pigmented enough to color what you want in one coat. I wish I had the LeadLight Lacquers, because they also contain glitter.


Here are the ones I used that worked best that I didn't have to mix:

OPI: Houston We Have A Purple (used here)
Kleancolor 228 Chunky Holo Candy (used for nail art here and here)
Kleancolor 230 Chunky Holo Fuchsia
Kleancolor 232 Chunky Holo Clover


Here is the plate:



♥ Here are the tutorials! ♥
If you click on "YouTube", you can find their channels, see all the tutorials they've made, and subscribe.

Messy Mansion's LeadLight Technique tutorial. Messy Mansion's tutorial shows the LeadLight technique using jelly nail polish with glitter from their LeadLight Lacquer Collection, created for this nail art technique:




Eleonora Palma/ Nail Art Stamping Mania shows "the LeadLight technique in which you can  paint directly on the images stamped without covering the details (using jelly polishes)" with any type of polish:




I had fun trying this technique, mixing colors on the little palette, and finding out which of my polishes that work, and which LeadLight polishes I need. I'm waiting for some water decals, and want to try the technique over them next time.

Lani

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous nails!! Nice blog, would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Nice to hear that you like my blog too. :-)

      Delete
  2. This is so so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! Nice to hear that you like them so much! :-)

      Delete
  4. Im so in love with this mani. Saw out on facebook already. Haven't got this plate but have to copy it sometime
    Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It often takes time until I write something here. It's so much easier to share it on facebook. I'd love to see it if you do. Please let me know if you do. If you want to, you can share your link here. :-)

      Delete
  5. wow...it looks so pretty and complicated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-) The "leadlighting" was very easy, and didn't take much time. The only thing that was difficult was to position the butterflies. So it looks more complicated than it is.

      Delete